Monday, September 9, 2013

Welcome to Stories of the South

Welcome to Stories of the South!

Well here it is guys, only about three years after starting SOTS, (Stories of the South), we are making our first post.  Back in the fall of 2010 when my bride and I met, we realized immediately we had a connection - food.  We had met briefly once before, but the main event that lit our spark was attached to a propane tank at a pig pickin' where I was cooking a hog, and Geena was making Shrimp 'n Grits.  These Shrimp 'n Grits are roughly 25% of the reason we are married today.

We started SOTS as a way to record the stories of life told through food.  We quickly realized the majority of our life events and most enjoyable gatherings with family and friends are based around food.  To this day, I still remember my favorite vacations, cities, small towns, and highway exits by the food that is a part of them.  I will go out of my way to stop where I know there is great food.  The better the food, the further out of my way I’ll venture, it’s as simple as that.  We are using SOTS as an avenue to tell those stories and share the recipes that make them that much more memorable.

In addition to the stories and the recipes, you will have the pleasure of hearing my expert opinion on the South's most famous food, Bar-B-Cue.  I really don't care if you agree with me or not, that's why this is my blog and not yours.  We will be touching on the best smoking wood, side dishes, what people outside Eastern NC call BBQ, sauces, etc.  It will be fun, I look forward to bringing these ideas to paper.

Most importantly, we will be showcasing the variety of uses that folks have found for Carolina Table Salt.  This brainchild of my wife and I has been in accidental development for a few years now.  I had a go-to rub I had a habit of making year after year.  Well, every year it changed because I never wrote it down and swore I would remember the next time how I made it.  However, that all changed when my wife added a little south of the border love to it and Carolina Table Salt was born.  In the short time since Carolina Table Salt's inception, this has become the most versatile kitchen staple since the wisk.  My brother refers to it as "the WD-40 for food, just add it on, and it works!"  If you haven't been to our website yet, check it out: Carolina Table Salt! If you don't already have a bottle, be sure to buy one, or three would be even better.

We look forward to seeing the recipes folks share and the stories that follow!






1 comment: